Saturday, August 6, 2011

Stan's No Tubes

I'm a late comer to the No Tubes party. You see, I've never really hated tubes, so tubeless tires didn't seem like that much of a big deal. Well, I finally drank the Kool-Aid and I'm loving it. I'm rockin' a set of Stan's ZTR Arch 29'er wheels with 3.30 hubs. I've only had a couple of rides on the wheels, but I'm liking the lower tire pressure.

To be honest, setting up tubeless tires seemed like a pain in the arse to me, and that's one of the main reasons I've been buying and using tubes; simplicity. Well, while tubeless tires ARE a bit more time consuming to install & inflate, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. The No Tubes Web site has plenty of videos and instructions, and even I could do it. Using rims designed for tubeless use IS easier than converting standard rims, and that's what I'll be doing next, but for now, I started with an older pair of Bontrager tires with the Arch rims, and it was a snap.

The tires held air, seated easily, and overall, worked like a charm.

I DID, however, get a flat the other day. I was pretty bummed until I saw the magnitude of the hole in the tire...

First, I found the hole on the surface of the tread, and a good amount of Stan's goop was spewing out. The hole looked pretty big, so I wasn't as annoyed as I was initially (well, I was annoyed that I got a flat, but I wasn't annoyed at the Stan's set up). I didn't fully realize how big the hole was until I popped the bead of the tire off the rim and found a stick, nay, a log, INSIDE the tire.

There it is; it's next to the valve stem for scale. Good stuff.

So, I guess, I understand why the Stan's didn't self-seal. I honestly don't know how I got that stick through the tread of the tire, but I'll bet I couldn't do it again if I tried, not that I will.

Other than, that, so far, the Stan's system has worked quite well. I'll update this page with more info about the No Tubes products as time goes on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow new convert I agree with most of this. I actually found it easier to set up than tubes. I was also told I needed an air compressor which I didn't. Just my handy floor pump.
I am a bit disappointed in the continued use of the phrase "drank the Kool Aid." Though it has taken foothold in the common vernacular, the reference is misplaced as the Jonestown murder/suicides were accomplished using Flavor (alt: Flav-Or) Aid. There is no need to continue demonizing wall smashing obese red pitchers of healthful Kool Aid any longer.